*In this late-night feature – which will run on Tuesday and Thursday of each week – I’ll gather up three fun items that are currently on sale online and share them with you! I would LOVE suggestions: Stylish wide-width pumps? Classic v-necked sweaters? Chandelier earrings? Petite dress slacks? What would you like to see featured?*
Marsha requested a few picks for formal mother-of-the-bride dresses (mazel tov, Marsha!), so here we go:
J.Crew Megan Long Dress – was $365, now $149.92 – $195
with code FALLSALE
As I mention below, J.Crew’s wedding section is a fantastic resource for simple, chic dresses appropriate for most formal occasions. There are several lovely full-length gowns on sale now, but I loved this one for its high-but-not-empire waistline and classy neckline. Available in this burgundy as well as black, navy, seafoam, French blue, gray, champagne, peach, coral, or lavender in sizes 00 -16. Size availability varies by color. Also in petite sizes. This dress has some similar details an is available in sizes 14 – 22 in three colors.
Like this style but need a cheaper option? This David’s Bridal dress is similar and comes in 30 colors.
Adrianna Papell Deco Vine Beaded Gown – was $280, now $92.47 – $266.75
When it comes to beading on formal dresses, you either love or hate it. If you’re a beadwork lover, I think this subtle vine pattern is a lovely choice. This dress will also suit anyone who prefers a sleeker, less voluminous silhouette. Available in sizes 2 – 14. Couldn’t find anything super similar in plus sizes, but this black gown has similar beadwork and Adrianna Papell has lots of lovely beaded plus size gowns. (And more regular size beaded gowns here.)
Eliza J Beaded Ruched Gown – was $188.99, now $91.03 – $148.99
Admittedly a little plunge-y, but nothing a couple of well-placed stitches couldn’t bring into a more modest configuration. This gown has a bit of beading on the sleeves that would look lovely peeking out from a navy or gray wrap. Available in sizes 4 – 14. This similar dress is available in plus sizes.
Need another navy option? Try this Donna Morgan bra-friendly chiffon dress – also in gobs of other colors here and here through size 18.
Sustainable resources for formal mother-of-the-bride dresses:
- Etsy – Peek at vintage options, or have something custom made. Maria Severyna offers custom dupioni gowns handmade in NYC, and does layaway.
- eBay – Vintage, handmade, and used options galore.
- Reformation – Lovely gowns handmade in L.A. (Some skew sexy, but others like this escala dress are just plain lovely.)
Other not-currently-on-sale resources for formal mother-of-the-bride dresses:
- Tadashi Shoji: Knocks it outta the park every time. Find at Nordstrom, Bloomies, Saks, and elsewhere. Some petites and plus sizes available.
- Nordstrom – The mother-of-the-bride section has some staid options, but others are more modern like this 3/4-sleeve illusion lace gown.
- J.Crew Wedding – If you want simple elegance, look here. Several floor-length dresses, including another great lace option in four rich colors.
- Saks Fifth Avenue – Surprisingly modern designs like this crepe dolman gown.
- Modcloth – If you want formal with a side order of retro/quirky. Love this embellished teal dress.
**Disclosure: Actions you take from the hyperlinks within this blog post may yield commissions for alreadypretty.com. See Already Pretty’s disclosure statement for more details. Sustainable options are either used, handmade, made in the U.S., artisan made in non-sweatshop conditions, or made using sustainable/fair trade practices.