I may weigh in on style rules around here, but I can’t say I’m terribly fond of them. Understanding them, knowing why they exist and how they work, and applying them occasionally as guidelines works just fine. But crafting every outfit around them? I’ll pass.
Especially since so many style rules are straight-up bullshit. Here are few of my infuriating faves:
- Fat girls can’t wear skinny jeans
- Skinny girls can’t wear chunky jewelry
- Short girls can’t wear long skirts
- Tall girls can’t wear platforms
- Curvy girls can’t wear stripes
- Boyishly-figured girls can’t wear pencil skirts
- Busty girls can’t wear turtlenecks
- Flat girls can’t wear bikinis
What a load.
As if a busty gal would BURST INTO FLAMES should she pull on a turtleneck. As if a short gal will sear the eyes of onlookers should she dare wear a maxi dress. As if there is one, and only one, choice for dressing and it is to create the tallest, skinniest, yet simultaneously most hourglass-y figure possible. At any cost. Including comfort, personal preference, and seasonal appropriateness. Makes me livid.
Originally posted 2011-04-06 06:08:18.